When installed and maintained properly, the average commercial roof can last anywhere from 10 to 40 years. The life expectancy will vary, however, based on the materials used as well as a few other factors. Let’s look at the expected life spans of common commercial roofing materials.
Here is a list of common commercial roofing materials and their expected life span:
- Thermoplastic polyolefin, known as TPO, can last between 22 and 30 years.
- Ethylene propylene diene terpolymer, known as EPDM, can last between 22 and 35 years.
- Polyvinyl chloride, known as PVC, can last 20 to 30 years.
- Metal roofs can last between 30 and 45 years.
- Asphalt roofs can last between 20 and 40 years.
Five Factors That Affect the Expected Lifespan of a Commercial Roof
Certain factors can shorten or prolong a commercial roof’s lifespan.
- Installation – Any flaws in the installation process can shorten the life of any roof. When you need a new roof installed or repair work done, choose an experienced, well-qualified roofer to do the job.
- Slope – The flatter the roof, the more likely water is going to pool on its surface. When water doesn’t flow off the roof, it will find the lowest point and stay there until it evaporates. Low spots are often where leaking starts and damage starts to happen.
- Ventilation – Roofs need adequate ventilation of the attic space below. Ventilation helps prevent the build-up of heat and moisture. Hot summer temperatures in the attic as well as up top will bake the roofing materials. Built-up moisture can lead to rot and mold.
- Maintenance – Routine inspections and maintenance prevent small problems from becoming major ones. It’s easy to neglect a roof when it doesn’t have any problems. But, that neglect can end up causing major roof issues in the future.
- Weather – Harsh weather can cause direct damage to roofing material, especially high winds and hail. However, everyday exposure to the elements does a lot of damage as well.
Commercial roofs can last for decades with proper installation and adequate maintenance. If you own or manage a commercial property, do routine maintenance and make repairs as needed to prolong the roof’s useful life. Contact RoofTek today for all your commercial roofing needs. We provide quality work to all of our commercial projects.